Search & Reserve
St. Johannes (St. John the Baptist) Parish Church
St. Peter’s Parish Church
Church of St. Rupert (St. Ruprechtskirche)
The Parish Church of Dorf Tirol was first mentioned in a document in 1164, although it already existed years before (probably as Baptist church for the region). The Parish Church is considered to be the oldest Missionary- and St. John Baptist Church of the surroundings. In its later years, the Romanesque church (the Romanesque tower is still preserved today) was extended by the addition of a Late Gothic choir.
One of the most interesting furnishings in the Parish Church is the baptismal font made of white Laas marble which dates from the beginning of the 16th century. Also the church organ with a large quantity of antique wooden and metal pipes represents a remarkable masterpiece from an artistic and historical point of view. The New Gothic high altar, the bishop’s figures, the St. John’s statue above the baptismal font, oil paintings and the crucifixion group are other beautiful works of arts.
The renovation works of the Parish Church in 1969/70 brought to light the Secco-paintings from the year 1480.
from 9 am - 6 pm between April and October
Local history tells that one of the oldest Baptist churches of the surroundings was rising on this beautiful square. Today, the Parish Church stands on an even older site dating back to the preromanesque period (lombard-carolingian architecture) and is one of the rare examples of a cross-domed church with central nave and side naves.
In 1287 Count Meinhard II of Tyrol transferred the patronage to the Cistercian monastery of Stams in the Oberinntal valley. Until today, St. Peter belongs to the spiritual welfare of that monastery. The lombard-carolingian church was given a thorough renovation under the regime of Meinhard; further modifications were made in the Gothic period. The church is rich in precious Romanesque and Gothic frescos. The southern side nave shows an especially well-preserved half-length portrait of St. Paul dating back to the 11th century.
Opening hours: 9 am to 6 pm
Guided tours: by request at the rectory
The church, mentioned as far back as 1332, with its flat ceiling was increased in height in the late Gothic period and lengthened by the chancel with ribbed vaults above short round pillars and pointed corbels. In 1472 the church was rededicated. The small tower that was built from hewn stone at the same time as the chancel remained incomplete and was later finished in brick. In 1900 the church was extensively renovated. There is a large painting on the façade at the top of which the earlier, lower gable can be seen. In addition there is a broad border with small bust portraits in quatrefoils. On the southern side is the sundial which bears the date 1537. Inside there are traces of gilded frescoes from the early 15th century. The winged shrine with ancient sculptures is of the Schnatterpeck school.
St. Rupert’s Church was most recently renovated in 2007/08, and the altar dedication took place on 21st September 2008.